IoTnRobotics impact on healthcare industry: A decade ago, I was associated closely with India’s highly respected corporate healthcare group. I was heading ICT part of clinical trials. It was then, I heard and exposed to telemedicine, a novel concept at least for me. In principle, the system helped connecting expert physicians consultation and advice to patients and individuals at rural/remote areas.
With limited resources and over 68 percent of the population living in remote, rural areas, this model has excellent potential to revolutionise delivery of healthcare in India. The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) estimates that this sector market size reaches to $32 million by 2020 doubling from current size $16 million in 2016. I feel that this is one of the field which was undermined owing to its own technology hindrances. The current model is built on core principle of connecting patients from remote areas. The true potential of this service will be uncovered when the whole game is played with improved patient experience modeling which is possible by adding IoT enabled healthcare services centres.
What is IoT enablement at Clinics?
No matter if its a remote location or a metropolitan city, internet is almost everywhere. Thanks to revolutioning 3/4G speed (and 5G is coming…) it is almost a cake walk today to set up conectivity across individual and physician for initial screening. A serious assessment is really not required for day to day ailments.
Imagine, an individual walks into a wonderful 5 star lounge where a large display indicates available physicians across globe for immediate consultation. Individual will be able to choose his choice of physician. As soon as both get connected, physician will be able to access individuals medical records (of course authorised by respective individual) along with live vital parameters on his video wall enabling him to make a meaningful decision. Individual will be charged in proportion with the amount of time physician spent with the individual. On completing the diagnosis, individual will be offered if who would like to pickup medication right from there. A automated medicine dispencer will pack his prescription as he walks out. His mobile will be updated with drug intake schedule to remind you timely.
Well, you just walked into an IoT enabled hospital. Isn’t it a wonderful patient experience? As we fog out into future, its distinct;y evident that, IoT and Robotics will impact almost all corners of healthcare industry.
- Vital Sign Monitoring: Advancement of wireless technologies influenced conventional health-care system with wearable healthcare systems, with focus on the individual. These systems provide continuous physiological data of individual and will trigger alerts to designated people on need basis reducing health-care risk and increasing treatment benefits.
- Virtual Diagnosis: Individual may seek diagnosis from any physician of his choice who will offer his services on a virtual consultation suit using individual’s diagnostic data. This eliminates travel and other healthcare overheads. The physician may even use individual’s Food Diary which is generated based on his spending and consumption habits making the diagnosis more truthful and realistic. Healthcare Insurance company will equally use this data to personalize their offerings for the individual. It is predicted that various service providers will complement each other for delivering smart services personalized for individual.
- Personalised Medicine: Based on unique variation of genome and fundamental biology of every individual, medication will be personalized automatically thus increasing the chances of quick recovery. The process effectiveness will be multiplied with automated intelligent drug administration procedure for inducing each dose.
- Surgeon / Skills: It is predicted that, optimized surgeon skills will be captured into machine learning platforms so that the skill will be re-used globally by uploading the precision movements for invasive and non-invasive procedures. The best in class surgery skills will be provided globally via Robotic surgeries while the surgeon enjoys royalty for his skills.
- Post-Operative Care: Advanced robotics heading towards developing electro-mechanical bodysuits for addressing caring services for senior citizen and individuals who require support.
For more information on IoTiam consulting services for addressing your business needs with IoT / Robotics, please contact John Smith at email@example.com